How many years do electric vehicle lead-acid batteries last? What causes Lead-Acid Batteries Life to be shortened?
The service life of electric bicycle lead-acid batteries is a concern for many consumers. Generally speaking, the service life of electric bicycle lead-acid batteries is 1–3 years, but the specific life span depends on many factors.
This article will analyze the service life of electric bicycle lead-acid batteries from three perspectives: the principle of lead-acid batteries, factors that easily lead to shortened lead-acid battery life, and how to properly maintain lead-acid batteries.
Lead-acid battery is a kind of battery, which is mainly composed of a positive plate, negative plate, electrolyte, and separator. The positive plate is lead dioxide, the negative plate is lead, and the electrolyte is a sulfuric acid solution.
When the battery is discharged, the lead dioxide on the positive plate reacts with the lead on the negative plate to produce lead sulfate and water. At the same time, electrons flow from the negative plate to the positive plate through the external circuit to form an electric current. During charging, current flows from the positive plate to the negative plate through the external circuit, reducing lead sulfate to lead dioxide and lead.
1. Usage environment: Harsh environments such as high temperature, low temperature, and humidity will affect the life of the battery. Especially in high-temperature environments, the battery’s electrolyte is easily evaporated and lost, resulting in shortened battery life.
2. Charging time: Overcharging or undercharging will lead to shortened Lead-Acid Batteries Life. Overcharging will cause the water in the electrolyte to decompose to produce hydrogen and oxygen, causing the internal pressure of the battery to increase or even explode. Insufficient charging will cause the battery to vulcanize and reduce its capacity.
3. Charger selection: Using an unmatched charger or an inferior charger will cause the battery to be undercharged or overcharged, thus affecting Lead-Acid Batteries Life.
1. Correct charging: Follow the correct charging method to avoid overcharging and undercharging. Generally speaking, the charging time should not exceed 8 hours. You should maintain good ventilation when charging and avoid charging in high or low-temperature environments.
2. Regular inspection: Regularly check the battery’s power, voltage, and other indicators, and promptly discover and deal with possible problems. If the battery is found to be bulging, it should be replaced in time.
3. Keep it clean: Keep the battery clean and dry to avoid corrosion and contamination of the battery surface. You can wipe it with a damp cloth when cleaning but do not rinse it with water.
4. Replace damaged parts: Replace damaged batteries or related accessories in time to avoid affecting the performance and life of the entire battery pack.
The service life of electric bicycle lead-acid batteries depends on many factors. Consumers should pay attention to care and maintenance during use, choose reliable quality batteries, and correct charging methods to extend the service life of the battery or Lead-Acid Batteries Life.
Avoid using the battery in harsh environments such as high temperature, low temperature, and humidity follow the correct charging method, regularly check the battery’s power, voltage and other indicators, and keep the battery clean and dry, etc. are all effective ways to extend the battery life.
At the same time, timely replacement of damaged batteries or battery components is also an important measure to maintain battery performance and life. Through reasonable use and maintenance, the service life of electric bicycle lead-acid batteries can be extended and the efficiency of electric bicycles can be improved.